Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Writer's "Idea-l" Gift



It has been a busy few months away from this blog. December brought the holidays, with its warm, fuzzy feeling, festivities and of course, presents. Lots of presents. But for me, the best gift I received wasn’t wrapped in pretty paper, it wasn’t even under the tree—it was an idea. An idea for a new book, from a photograph I happened across.

I let this idea simmer at the back of my brain until the first week in January. Then I sat down to write. I write when and where I can…before work, after work, Saturdays. Some days the story flowed, some days not so much, but by the end of April, I had a completed second draft. Since then, I’ve done a bit of revision on and off, but for the most part, I am finished telling this story.

TO THEE I SING is historical fiction set against the backdrop of World War II. The 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor will be in 2016. This story honors those Americans who not only survived Pearl Harbor and WWII, but who came home to fight the even bigger battle of putting their lives back together.

As always, I’ve become invested in these characters’ lives and want to linger with them. My world is a better place because this story now exists, but I know it’s time to move on. Where will the next story come from? The news? A photograph? A magazine article? I never know. The only thing for certain is I can’t wait for it to come to life.




No comments:

Post a Comment